Saturday, September 22, 2012

Big Batch Breakfast Muffins On The Cheap

In all my pinterest ponderings, I came across a wonderful Blog full of canning & frugal food ideas.
I decided to try out the "McMuffins" because to buy in town they are like 3$ each! I made 25 for the price of 4 from McDonalds! They were wonderful....
 
Here is my version, tweaked slightly:

First you crack 2 dozen farm eggs into a bowl, add a 1/2 cup of milk, salt & pepper. Pour into a greased cassarole dish & bake for about 15-20 minutes. While thats baking, in a mixing bowl, make small patties from 2 pounds of pork sausage, seasoned to your preference. I used msg free seasonings, and a bit of breadcrumbs,an egg, and it tasted great! Bake on cookie sheet for 1/2 hour aprox or until golden.

 
Start toasting your english muffins...I had bought  a bag of 24 from Costco for 3.99.
Butter them as they come out of the toaster.

 
When the egg is cooked, slice into squares, and make 24 , so you have one peice for each muffin.
Start layering the cheese,sausage, and egg. This actually goes really quick with a toaster over, I can fit 5 open(10) pieces of bread in there!
 
 
 
I wrapped mine tightly with plastic wrap, and then put 6-8 in a ziplock bag & into the freezer they went.  So thats it for my version! When your ready to eat them , take them out the night before & place into the fridge. The next morning put them in your oven, or toaster over is my preffered way, and bake at 375 for 12 minutes, or until heated through. Here is where I was inspired to try them:
 
Thank you for the amazing recipe, and try to eat one before they get frozen while they are hot...mmmmmmm
 
 
Then some canning began, I have major catch up to do!
Garlic & Mushroom Spagetti sauce.
 
 
Canned rhubarb pie filling.


 
It has now begun to frost, so out came the rest of the potatoes & squash out of the garden. The beets are still ok out there for now!

 
 
 
Enjoy your last days of summer..
 

 
 

3 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Great idea for the breakfast sandwiches, especially if you need to get going quickly in the morning!

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I LOVE your idea for the homemade McMuffins. Your canned tomato sauce and rhubarb pie filling look wonderful too. Thanks so much for sharing them this week.

Unknown said...

Love this idea! I might even try to use ground turkey to lessen the fat content a bit but great for the kids on the run :)